Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 January 2015

11th January, 2015...Bleak and bitter weather...!

Phew...back to school, and a week of bitterly cold gale forced winds that would give you ear ache even if you didn't have ears....I've stood our in the playground on duty this week with my scarf held over my sore ears for protection. Very bleak down at Furness Abbey today.....




Our favourite tree is down in these winds too...what a shame!


It reminds me of a poem favourite of mine....The Darkling thrush by Thomas Hardy...just that first bit...

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-grey,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky     
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.
 

Didn't stop the intrepid Hillmans walking out....we've got all the right kit...courtesy of Jack Wolfskin and NFL hats!



We even stopped for a spot of afternoon tea at Abbey Mill Café...why wouldn't you!!




Lots to choose from, whatever the weather! We even spotted the first daffs of the season...nothing in our own garden yet though!


So...the senior section of the Hillman family headed up to Ambleside this week on the SteveHillman birthday...he had been promised an 'Apple Pie Eating House' breakfast on his next birthday by our daughter, and she kept her word!



Mr. Hillman senior completely bemused by the choices in Hayes whilst Mrs. Hillman senior chose to photobomb every picture!


And SteveHillman birthday boy bought himself a birthday present from me....was I the ONLY one at WORK?


That's him 33 years ago, when we met!!!! My hair was a similar length!!! We did have a lovely birthday meal at Oscars, Abbey House on Friday, which makes three meals and an afternoon tea there in the last month, all excellent!


Had afternoon tea there recently with some of my crazy but lovely colleagues/friends, and as I watched yet another re run of my favourite Sherlock (the Benedict Cumberbatch version) last night, I was reminded of a conversation we had about how much we liked Mark Gatiss- described by one friend as very...pointy!!! Actually, she's right, and it set me off howling again!





















 




No comments:

Post a Comment